ANTELOPE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
Antelope Valley Union High School District
44900 N. Division St. Lancaster, CA. 93535
(661) 948-8552 FAX: (661) 945-8867
This letter is designed to assist you in planning for your upcoming senior activities. These activities are specifically for graduating seniors. Please note the events and the details that describe them. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Activities Office at 948-8552, ext. 167.
- Remember, this letter does not ensure graduation, or participation in the graduation ceremony. All seniors must fulfill the academic requirements as set forth by the State of California, the Antelope Valley Union High School District, and Antelope Valley High School.
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
School rules and regulations are expected to be followed at all senior activities. Appropriate behavior is expected as well as regular school attendance to be eligible for all senior activities. Remember senior activities, including graduation, are privileges. Participation in activities and the graduation ceremony can be revoked by Administration. All graduates must accurately complete the Senior Code of Conduct/Graduation Participation Agreement form and return it to the Activities Office in order to participate in any senior activity. Suspensions and inappropriate behaviors during the spring semester may result in the student not being allowed to participate in activities or the graduation ceremony.
DATE: Saturday, April 14, 2018
TIME: 7:00 – 11:00 p.m.
PLACE: OASIS Banquet Hall – 2520 E. Palmdale Blvd. Palmdale, CA 93550
THEME: Masquerade Crystal Ball
COST: TWO DAY SALE ONLY
3/9/18 - $75 w/ASB Card $80 w/o ASB Card. No refunds will be made.
3/14/18 - $90 w/ASB Card $95 w/o ASB Card. No refunds will be made.
- Applications will be available in the Activities Office as of January 22, 2018. Tickets will be sold after school at the Student Store on Friday, March 9th and Wednesday, March 14th (1:15pm – 3:00pm). Current high school IDs must be shown by the student when purchasing a ticket. Only cash, credit card or money orders made out to AVHS will be accepted – no checks.
- Friday, February 9, 2018 - Last day to submit AV student and guest applications.
- AVHS student and their Guest’s ticket must be purchased the same day.
- In order for student and guest Applications/applications to be approved, they must be in good standing with grades, attendance, discipline, and fees. Approval must be obtained prior to ticket purchase.
- All AVHS students and guests MUST show their current school ID for admission to the Prom. Only guests under the age of 21 will be permitted to attend on an approved guest pass. A current driver’s license or California ID is required for non-student guests.
- This is a formal dance. Girls are to wear formal or semi-formal dresses. No bare midriffs, exposed lower backs or dresses which are low-cut in the front. Hemlines need to be at
knee length or longer. Slits must be at mid-thigh or lower. Boys are to wear suits, dinner jackets or a tux. Chains and walking canes will not be allowed.
- For further information, see Ms. Arias, Prom Advisor, in Room 825, or call 948-8552, ext. 826.
SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS NIGHT
DATE: Tuesday, May 15, 2018
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
PLACE: AVHS Large Gym
- The Scholarship Awards Night honors seniors for various achievements earned at Antelope Valley High School. Contributions are given to students from local donors, organizations and universities. This event is by invitation only.
- Girls should wear dresses, or dress slacks and a blouse. Boys should wear slacks, dress shirt with collar and a tie.
- Individual department awards will be given in the classroom.
COMMENCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS DISTRIBUTION
DATE: Spring (TBD)
TIME: During Lunch
PLACE: In front of the Large Gym
- All graduating seniors who have placed orders for announcements should pick them up when they become available.
- All outstanding balance amounts must be paid on this date (cash only).
GRAD NITE AT SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN
DATE: Friday, May 25, 2018
TIME: 6:30 p.m. Friday, May 25 – 6:00 a.m. Saturday, May 26
COST: TWO DAY SALE ONLY
5/2/18 - $90 w/ASB Card $95 w/o ASB Card. No refunds will be made.
5/9/18 - $95 w/ASB Card $100 w/o ASB Card. No refunds will be made.
- Transportation is by bus (no exceptions). Students will depart from and return to the AVHS North parking lot (student parking). Must have your student ID.
- An approved application is required for each participant and will be available in the Activities Office beginning January 22 – April 6, 2018. Applications must be returned to the Activities Office no later than 3:00p.m on Friday, April 6, 2018. No guests are allowed. Behavior standards are strictly enforced. Six Flags Magic Mountain sets the requirements for transportation, dress and behavior. If a problem arises, parents/guardians will be called to pick up the student(s).
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and will be sold at the Student Store after school (1:15 – 3:00pm) on Wednesday 5/2 & 5/9. Current high school IDs must be shown by the student when purchasing a ticket. Only cash, credit card or money orders made out to AVHS will be accepted. Applications must be approved before purchasing a ticket. A limited amount of tickets will be available.
- In order for student applications to be approved, they must be in good standing with credits, grades, attendance, discipline, and fees. Approval must be obtained prior to ticket purchase.
SENIOR CHECK OUT
DATE: Friday, May 25, 2018
TIME: During Economics class
- Student ID is required!!!
- Students will be escorted to the Library by their Economics teacher through the Fiction Room entrance. Students will rotate through the Library, gathering clearance signatures.
- Please make sure that all textbooks/library books have been returned and student fees have been paid PRIOR to Senior Check Out day. All fees owed must be paid with cash, credit card or money order only.
- The Senior Code of Conduct/Graduation Participation form must be signed and turned in prior to this day.
- Caps and gowns, along with complimentary graduation tickets, will be distributed on this day once the student’s check out procedure has been fully completed. Lost or stolen graduation tickets will not be replaced.
DATES: Tuesday, May 29 - Thursday, May 31, 2018
TIME: 7:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
PLACE: AVHS Large Gym
- Participation in Graduation Practice (both days) is MANDATORY in order to participate in the actual Graduation ceremony. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- You MUST have completed the senior check out process before you are allowed attend practice and graduation. You MUST also present a school ID card to enter graduation practices and the commencement ceremony.
- Please remember that the announcements you may have ordered are not tickets to get in the commencement ceremony.
- Admission to the Graduation ceremony is by ticket only, each graduating senior will receive five (5) complimentary tickets. Only graduates with a student ID (not family members) may purchase 5 extra graduation tickets at $5.00 a piece (cash only).
- Up to 5 extra tickets per graduating senior will be sold at the Accounting Office beginning Tuesday, May 29, 2018, after graduation practices, pending availability. Please do not call the school asking for more tickets; seating is limited and there will not be any extra tickets beyond what is being made available.
- All guests will require a ticket for entry into the ceremony. (Children under the age of 2 will not require a ticket.)
- All guest seating is on a first come, first served basis, including seating areas designated for handicapped persons. Gates will open at 5:00 p.m.
DATE: Thursday, May 31, 2018
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
PLACE: Antelope Valley High School – Mays Field
- All graduates are to report at 4:30 p.m. to the AVHS Large Gym. BE ON TIME!
- Caps and gowns must be worn. Girls are reminded to wear dresses, dress slacks, skirts and blouses (NO HEELS). Boys should wear suits, or slacks and jackets with shirts and ties. Please do not wear flip-flops.
- Students are to leave gifts, cameras, sunglasses or any other items with parents/guardians during the graduation ceremony, as they will not be allowed when entering the facility. There will be no check-in of valuables and the school will not be responsible for personal items.
- Graduates are not permitted to carry anything, nor adorn their cap and gown. Only Valedictorians, Senior Class Officers, Pacesetters, ASB Officers, AVID graduates, and qualified CSF and ASB members are permitted to wear medals, stoles or cords distributed by AVHS.
- Graduation is a special occasion which demands well-mannered and courteous behavior. Failure to comply with agreed-upon graduation instructions may result in the student being removed from the ceremony and will not be recognized during the call of graduates.
- Guests may not bring items into the stadium that may obstruct the view of another guest (balloons, posters, etc.). Walking around, shouting, using horns and whistling detract from the program and are highly discouraged. Please do not stand in the aisles or at the railings, as these areas block the view of other guests who are sitting down. Guests will not be allowed to approach the graduates at any time during the ceremony or during the recessional.
- The High School Graduation ceremony is not mandatory! It is a privilege which comes only once in a person’s lifetime!
- The graduation gown you purchased is yours to keep. Take care of it. Many graduates keep both their cap and gown as important keepsakes.
- Please do not throw your caps into the air after graduation.
NOTE: Graduates will be photographed as they receive their diplomas by O’Connor Photography. You can order your picture by going to www.oconnorphotography.net.
REMINDER: Graduates must attend ALL Graduation practices! ALL debts to the school must be cleared in order to participate in the ceremony!
BEHAVIORAL EXPECTATIONS OF GRADUATION CEREMONY PARTICIPANTS
The Graduation ceremony signifies the successful culmination of thirteen years of education. In order to assure a successful ceremony which is meaningful for all, the following is expected of all participants:
- Graduates are to be courteous during the entire ceremony and are to refrain from any activity which is disruptive, distracting or dangerous. Please follow directions.
- Graduates are not to carry anything with them into the ceremony. Caps and gowns shall not be altered or decorated in any fashion.
- Any student who appears to have been drinking alcoholic beverages or under the influence of any controlled substance prior to the ceremony will not be allowed to participate. All school rules apply to the graduation ceremony. This includes dress code and behavior expectations.
- Graduates will dress appropriately for a ceremony of this nature. Examples of inappropriate dress are beach and sports clothing, thong-type sandals, jeans, t-shirts, high or pointed heels, etc. Dress code policy will be enforced.
- If any participant in the graduation ceremony violates any of the above behavior standards, that student will NOT receive a diploma at the Graduation ceremony and will be asked to leave. The student will be required to attend a parent conference with the Principal the week following graduation in order to obtain their diploma.
DIPLOMA PICK UP
- Graduates will receive only the cover of their diplomas when they go through the ceremony.
- Diplomas will be available in the cafeteria immediately following the Graduation ceremony. Diplomas will be released to the graduate only.
- Any diploma not picked up will be available by appointment with the Registrar, Mrs. Henriquez, 948-8552, extension 109. DIPLOMAS WILL NOT BE MAILED HOME.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Activities Office at 948-8552, ext. 167.
Jodi Radford Nicole Hendricks
Principal Vice Principal
Congratulations to the Graduates of
Antelope Valley High School’s Class of 2018,
The 103rd Graduating Class!!!
ANTELOPE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
CLASS OF 2018
SENIOR CODE OF CONDUCT and GRADUATION PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT
The graduation ceremony will be held at Antelope Valley High School - Mays Field at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 31, 2018. In order to participate in the ceremony, all students must adhere to all school rules throughout the year. If at any point a student cannot conduct his/her behavior in a dignified manner, consequences may accompany their actions. The signature on the following page will certify that the student has read this Senior Code of Conduct and Graduation Participation Agreement thereby promising to respect the rights of each graduate, speaker, parent/guardian and guest. The breaking of any of the following rules can lead to severe consequences including being ineligible to participate in the graduation ceremony. (Reference: Education Code sections 48900 and 48915). Additional information regarding the ceremony and graduation tickets will be listed in the Senior Letter.
The following requirements must be followed to be eligible for participation in the graduation ceremony:
- Seniors must meet all graduation requirements, clear all debts and fines, return all textbooks and complete all disciplinary assignments. A student can have no more than two U’s during third or fourth quarter.
- Seniors must display appropriate, responsible and respectful behavior in class, on campus, and at ALL school activities. Any disciplinary issues during the Second Semester of the 2017-18 school year may result in a student’s participation in the graduation ceremony and/or any other senior activities being revoked. All senior activities are a privilege, not a right.
- Follow all AVHS rules and policies, including dress code and turning off cell phones and electronic devices for the duration of all practices and the graduation ceremony. (They will be confiscated if they are heard or visible.)
- Attend all mandatory graduation practices, on time, and sign in each day.
- Graduates must wear the designated cap and gown that has not been altered or decorated in any way. This includes decorations such as flowers, leis or sashes. Wear attire under the gown that is appropriate for formal occasions. No high/pointed heels or flip flops. Wedges are the only type of heel you may wear.
- Any objects that distract from the graduation ceremony will not be tolerated. This includes, but not limited to: cell phones, silly string, confetti, horns, noisemakers and inflatable objects such as beach balls, etc.
- All students will be searched prior the graduation ceremony. Prohibited items will be confiscated.
- Refrain from alcohol, drugs, or any other controlled substances, knowing that their use or possession automatically bans participation in the ceremony.
- If at graduation or at any practice, a student gets out of their seat, stands on their chair, or draws undue attention to him or herself, the student may be removed from the ceremony.
- Parents, please do not bring noisemakers or items that obstruct the view of others such as balloons, posters, large flower bouquets, etc. Possession of such items may result in removal from the ceremony.
- Once a student is removed from a graduation practice, the student will not participate in any other practices nor walk in the commencement ceremony.
KEEP THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS AND RETURN THE FOLLOWING SIGNATURE PAGE TO THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE NO LATER THAN 3PM FRIDAY, JANUARY 26, 2018.
ANTELOPE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
CLASS OF 2018
SENIOR CODE OF CONDUCT
I, ___________________________________________________, understand that, as a senior at
PRINT YOUR NAME
Antelope Valley High School, I must adhere to the policies and regulations set forth by the Antelope Valley Union High School District and Antelope Valley High School. I understand and acknowledge the policies and regulations that are listed in the Discipline Expectations form that I received either at the beginning of the school year or upon enrollment at AVHS, and understand that any violation of any district or school policies or regulations may result in a loss of extracurricular privileges with no refund. This includes, but is not limited to, school-sp
onsored events, dances, any athletic/activity program (club, team, etc.), Prom, GradNite, and the Graduation Ceremony.
Furthermore, I recognize that, as a senior, I am a role model for the underclassmen and I have the responsibility to help maintain a safe and educationally focused campus that prioritizes academic success, character and leadership.
I understand that it is a privilege to represent Antelope Valley High School and I will continue to facilitate and promote positive academic and personal success.
GRADUATION PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT
PLEASE CHECK ONE:
cI desire to participate in the graduation ceremony to be held on Wednesday, May 31, 2018. I have read the attached Senior Code of Conduct and Graduation Participation Agreement and promise to abide by the provided rules and expectations. I understand that by signing this agreement it becomes a binding contract and that by breaking this agreement, it may result in being ineligible to walk in the graduation ceremony. Also, I may be required to have a conference with the Principal before receiving my diploma. Furthermore, if I am suspended during the time covering graduation practices or the ceremony, I will not be allowed to participate in the commencement.
c I choose not to participate in the graduation ceremony. I understand that I may pick up my diploma the week after graduation at the Registrar’s Office in the main administration building with my picture identification. I understand that diplomas will not be mailed.
I further understand that if I do not select one of the above options and/or fail to return this contract to the Activities Office by 3p.m. Friday, JANUARY 26, 2018, my name will be removed from the list and I will not be able to walk in the Graduation ceremonies with my graduating class.
STUDENT NAME (PRINT) ID NUMBER
STUDENT SIGNATURE DATE